Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Social Security and Other Federal Benefits

Please note that the U.S. Embassy in Nicaragua is a non claims-taking post. There is no Social Security Administration (SSA), Veterans Affairs (VA) nor Office of Personal Management (OPM) staff located in Nicaragua. The role of the Federal Benefits Unit in Managua is to accept paperwork and forward it to the proper agency for processing.

Did You Know…? The Federal Benefits Unit operates on an appointment-only system. To schedule an appointment or to obtain information please send an email to or call 2252-7219. 

The Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) in Managua provides assistance to U.S. citizens and third country nationals who have worked in the United States and are eligible to apply for a pension from one of the Federal Agencies listed above.  Assistance may also be available for the worker’s spouse and children who are under the age of 18 or disabled.  We assist with a wide range of federal benefits issues, whether you are applying for a social security number, inquiring into survivor benefits, or requesting to receive your benefits by direct deposit, among others. You can also find answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) below.

Social Security

The Social Security Administration (SSA) processes claims for retirement, disability and survivor benefits, as well as social security number applications.  SSA also handles all post-entitlement activities affecting beneficiaries under the various programs such as changes of address, issues involving direct deposit of SSA checks, non-receipt of checks, designation or changes of Representative Payees and termination of benefits.

If you would like general information about social security, please visit the SSA website at This site includes:

For General Inquiries: 1-800-772-1213 (English and Spanish)

Social Security Cards
If you are applying for a social security number or have a question regarding your social security card, please click here.

Post-Entitlement Services

We can assist you with:

  • Name change or change of address
  • Report of death of a beneficiary
  • MEDICARE  enrollment or cancellation
  • Report of full calendar month presence
  • Foreign enforcement questionnaire
  • Overpayment/underpayment
  • Reinstatements
  • Benefit statement
  • Schedule medical exams to verify disability claims
  • Return checks
  • Sign up for direct deposit

To contact our offices, please click here.

Department of Veterans Affairs

The Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) processes survivor claims, educational benefits, compensation and pension examinations, etc. The Department of Veterans Affairs website offers the Federal Benefits Manual for Veterans and Dependants (1997), details of benefits available and downloadable benefits forms.

Our Federal Benefits Unit in Managua can provide forms, general information and forward your claims to Veterans Affairs. We can also arrange medical appointments, assist with direct deposit issues and follow up with Veterans Affairs about individual cases, when necessary. 

For General Inquiries: 1-800-827-1000 (English only)

Office of Personnel Management

Office of Personnel Management deals with payments for annuitants covered by the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS) and the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS).   

The Office of Personnel Management website offers information about federal employee benefits such as retirement programs, thrift saving plans and health insurance.

Our Federal Benefits Unit in Managua can provide forms, general information and forward your claims to Office of Personnel Management.  We can also assist with Direct Deposit issues and follow up with Office of Personnel Management about individual cases, when necessary. 

For General Inquiries: 202-606-1800 (English only)

Railroad Retirement Board (RRB)

The Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) administers comprehensive retirement/survivor and unemployment/sickness benefit programs for the nation's railroad workers and their families. The RRB also administers certain social security benefit payments and railroad workers' Medicare coverage. Visit the RRB website for more information.

For General Inquiries: 1-877-772-5772 (English only)


Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Additional Social Security Administration FAQs can be found here.

I would like to apply for a social security number for my child who is a U.S. citizen. What documents are required and what do I need to do?

I applied for a social security number 6 months ago, but have not yet received it. Can you please update me on the status?

I am not a U.S. citizen but need to have a Social Security number for tax reasons.

I worked in the U.S. for more than 10 years and I believe I am eligible for social security benefits. When and where can I apply for these benefits? If I am currently working, can I receive benefits?

My spouse is applying for retirement benefits. Am I or my children entitled to benefits? Can the Federal Benefits Unit help me file an application?

My spouse recently passed away, and I know he paid SSA/FICA taxes for several years. I am now 50 years old. Can I apply for widower/widow benefits?

What is a "Claim Number" and how is it different from my social security number?

My benefits check has not arrived. What should I do?

My husband, who had been receiving SSA benefits, recently passed away and I found some checks issued to him. Can I, as his wife, cash them?

Can I sign up for direct deposit of my Social Security check with a Nicaraguan-based bank?

Does Medicare cover my medical expenses in Nicaragua?

What is a Social Security Statement? How can I obtain a Social Security Statement?

I received Form SSA-7162 in the mail? What is it for? What should I do with Form SSA-7162?

I received Form SSA-1099 in the mail. What is Form SSA-1099 for? Do I need to reply to this form?

What steps can I take to prevent my benefits from being suspended?

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.