How to Apply
Visitor (nonimmigrant) visas are for short trips to the U.S. for tourism, business, training, studies, ship and airline crew, exchange visits, transit or other special travel requiring petitions. Visitor visas are not for those who intend to reside in the U.S.
- Complete and print the DS-160 Confirmation Page.
- Pay Visa Fee online or at CITIBANK branch.
- Schedule an interview appointment.
- Visit the U.S. Consulate on the date and time of the visa interview.
- Pick up Passports.
All visa applicants must submit a completed DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application for all nonimmigrant visa categories (also for the K Category). This electronic form DS-160 is available at the following secure website:
- https://ceac.state.gov/GenNIV/Help/ (DS-160 online help)
- Print out only the DS-160 Confirmation Page. See sample.
Use a high quality printer (laser or inkjet). This page contains a barcode with all the application information in it which will be available to the Consulate. Protect this barcode so that it can be scanned.
Uploading a photograph (Video and photo cropping tool)
- Video - How to upload a photograph to the online form DS-160
- Photo Cropping Tool to resize images (Flash application)
If you are unable to upload a photo, simply bring one 2” x 2” photograph that contains a white background. No hats or sunglasses should be worn. Learn about photograph requirements.
- You must attempt to upload a photo, otherwise the system will not let you print the confirmation page.
Note: Please bring a recent photograph on the day of the interview, even if you have uploaded a digital photo to your electronic form DS-160.
Options to pay visa processing fees:
- Pay Online with credit or debit cards. With this option, you must create or have a PayPal account. Pay online now.
- Make payment in cordobas only at any CITIBANK using Deposit Slips. Print and write your name on this slip and then take it to any CITIBANK branch with an identification ID (Cedula or passport).
Get deposit slips.
- Save your receipt. It cannot be replaced if it is lost. You will not be able to schedule an appointment without your receipt number
To complete this step, you must have paid the Visa Fee and completed the online form DS-160. Schedule your interview after 1 p.m. the following business day after you have paid the appropriate fee at Citibank or PayPal.
Options to schedule an appointment:
- From Nicaragua, please call at 2229-1999
- From the United States, please call: (703) 745-5479
Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Saturday 9:00
a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Central Time.
Online appointment system
On the date and time of your visa interview, you will need to bring:
- A printed copy of your appointment letter.
- DS-160 confirmation page.
- One photograph taken within the last six months.
- Original visa fee payment receipt.
- Your current and previous passport with visa.
- Additional information for minor applicants (under eighteen (18) years old). click here.
- Others documents specific for the visa type you will be applying for such as Form I-797, Form I-20, Form DS-2019, SEVIS fee receipt, etc.
If the interviewing consular officer approves the visa, then 3-5 days after your appointment, you may pick up your passport with the visa from the Cargo Expreso location you selected when scheduling your appointment. Read more.
If you need help with your visa application, want to learn more about obtaining a visa to travel to the U.S., please contact us at the following website address:
- Visa application services call center agents are able to assist you via telephone, e-mail, Skype or chat.
Last update: January 10, 2014
Individuals offering additional visa and passport services outside of the U.S. Embassy grounds are NOT affiliated with the Embassy. The Consular Section encourages all applicants to be wary of unscrupulous vendors who may grossly overcharge for services. Visa applicants should complete their applications, pay their fees, and print out confirmation pages or any other documents at home or with trusted sources before they come to the Embassy.
Visa applicants are responsible for the information in their applications, even if the application is filled out by someone else. Use of questionable vendors can result in the denial of a visa and/or ineligibilities to the United States.
Bring to your visa interview
• Print your Confirmation Page using a high quality printer (laser or inkjet)
• A List of Cyber Cafes. (PDF)
• Begin the process at least two months in advance of your travel plans.
• Do not purchase your airline tickets until your visa has been issued.
All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.