Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Boarding Foil for LPR

To board a flight to the United States, every U.S. Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) must present, at the time of check-in, the passenger’s valid “green card” from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) demonstrating that the passenger is presently an LPR of the United States. 

If you have been out of the U.S. for less than one year and your permanent resident card (often called a “green card”) was lost/stolen/expired, you must request a boarding foil.  Please be advised that this service is not to replace your lost or stolen card but a way that allows you to return to the U.S. Once returned to the U.S., you must apply for a new card through USCIS by submiting and I-90 application directly with the USCIS.  

Persons whose resident cards have been lost, stolen, mutilated, or are expired and wish to return to the US will need to come in person to the US Embassy any Monday and Friday between the hours of 09:00 and 11:00 AM

Required Document List

For all:

  • Valid Passport
  • Filled-out I-90 available on the USCIS web site 
  • One 2x2 inches photograph taken on a white background
  • Airline ticket or boarding pass with which you came to Nicaragua
  • Any other type of identification issued by a government agency such as a State ID or driver’s license.

For expired or mutilated cards:

  • Resident Card (aka your Green Card)

For lost or stolen cards:

  • Migratory Movement Sheet from the Nicaraguan Immigration Office or your most recent entry stamp in your passport
  • Police Report

If your application is accepted and approved by the Consular Officer it will go through other verification steps.  This process can take several days to complete.  During this process we are not able to expedite your request.  Once this process is completed you will receive visa foil in your passport that can be valid for up to 30 days and will only be good for one entry into the United States.

Persons with a lost, mutilated, expired, or stolen card must request a replacement card with an USCIS office by submitting a Form I-90 once you return to the US.  To facilitate this process we will return to you the Form I-90 to you so you can use it to request your new card upon returning to the US.  For more information about this process please visit  USCIS will charge a fee to replace your card, but no fee is due to the Embassy here in Nicaragua.

For additional question please email us at

Adobe Reader

  • Download Free
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format.  To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  You may download a free version by clicking the link above.